HONEY DIJON SALAD DRESSING
(Makes about 1 ¾ cups)
- 1 cup high oleic safflower, grapeseed, or vegetable oil (Use an oil that is very mild in flavor. High oleic safflower and grapeseed oils are among the most healthful mild tasting oils available.)
- ¼ cup Cabernet Sauvignon vinegar or other red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon chopped onion
Put all ingredients into a blender. Cover and blend until emulsified and smooth, about 1 minute.
- Use enough dressing on your salad greens to dress the leaves well when you toss the salad, but do not use so much that the greens are “swimming” in the dressing.
- This makes a great dressing for a summer salad with fresh leaf lettuces, vine-ripened tomatoes, and cucumbers from the garden and some grated Asiago cheese. In the winter, toss the dressing with butter or Bibb lettuce, and add dried tart cherries or cranberries, toasted walnuts (coat walnut pieces lightly with walnut oil, then roast on a cookie sheet at 350 degrees F. for 6 – 10 minutes, checking frequently and tossing a bit, JUST until fragrant, then cool), and crumbled blue cheese.
- This will keep in the refrigerator for at least one to two weeks. Just cover and refrigerate. Whisk before using.